Kay Xander Mellish
Om Kay Xander Mellish
Kay Xander Mellish is an American who made every possible cultural mistake while working for large Danish companies such as Danske Bank, Carlsberg, and Saxo Bank. She turned down cake when offered. She telephoned her boss when he was on vacation. And she scheduled important meetings for Friday at 3pm.
Now Kay helps other internationals benefit from the hard lessons she learned, through her books “How to Live in Denmark” and “How to Work in Denmark” and her “How to Live in Denmark” podcast, which has more than a million downloads over the past 5 years.
Kay’s presentations outline the unwritten rules of the Danish workplace in a fun and informative way, helping internationals understand what’s expected of them and showing Danes the assumptions that they may not realize they had. Doesn’t everybody just keep asking questions when they don’t understand something? Doesn’t everybody politely contradict the boss when they can see she’s making a mistake? Doesn’t everybody know it’s OK to stop work for 15 minutes to enjoy some cake?
A journalist with a degree from New York University who has been published everywhere from the Berlingske Tidende to the Wall Street Journal, Kay can deliver an enjoyable presentation in either Danish or English.
Kay also offers presentations based on her popular small book, “Top 35 Mistakes Danes Make in English,” helping Danish professionals avoid common ‘Danglish’ mistakes and speak smooth, professional, contemporary English.
Kay Xander Mellish CV
- Keynote speaker on Danish culture topics; TEDx speaker “The Privileged Immigrant”
- Voice behind the long-running “How to Live in Denmark” podcast
- Author of “How to Live in Denmark”, available at Denmark’s National Museum gift shop
- English-language communications consultant to some of Denmark’s top companies
- Communications professional on staff at Danske Bank, Saxo Bank, and Carlsberg
- Journalist at Dow Jones/The Wall Street Journal, ABCnews.com, CNN (New York City)